- Jack Brizzi Memorial Service – Jan 14, 2 pm January 12, 2017
- Jack Brizzi Memorial Service November 22, 2016
- Judy Stone Memorial Service November 13, 2016
- CQE Clinics Planned for November and December September 10, 2016
- Marcellene Hawk Mayhall Piano Concert (Sept. 18, 3pm, Sanctuary) September 2, 2016
On Sunday mornings in Christian Bible Baptist Church on the East side of Youngstown, I was taught to study hard in school and to embrace lifelong learning. But by the time I turned 18 years old, I found myself looking for something that I couldn't find at Christian Bible Baptist. It's hard to say what that something was, but I knew that I needed to look for it. So I looked in the phone book and found this church and attended a summer service in 1991.
Over the years, I became hooked on the UU church for a million and one reasons. One reason is that Kris Eyssell, a fellow grad student and UU, listened closely to me as I expressed my beliefs about spirituality around 1997. She said, “Davita, I think you’re a UU. You just don’t know it.” As I reflect on my spiritual journey, I feel so grateful for the presence of the Baptist and UU faith traditions in my life. Because each tradition offers something uniquely valuable. My Baptist roots gave me a strong foundation for lifelong learning and UUism has facilitated that learning in my adult life.